Smart Doorbell Transformer Upgrade
Install Procedure for Doorbell Transform Upgrade
Sometimes in older homes, we will need to replace the transformer because the voltage is too low. Then we ship a transformer that has the correct ratings to work with the doorbells.
Take a pick at the wires behind the doorbell. That way you can see where the doorbell wires run, UP to the attic or DOWN to the basement that will give you a clue of where to look. Either way trace the wires back to find the transformer’s location. Note: Newer homes often have doorbell transformers conveniently located in plain sight, high on a garage wall.
If you can’t find the doorbell transformer, check these places:
• A floor joist in the basement
• Below the doorbell chimes or bell
• In a nearby closet (perhaps the entry closet)
• In the attic. If in the attic, it may be buried under insulation) In a crawlspace it will more than likely be in the basement or the attic. Either place it will be near a 110-volt power source. a light or power outlet.on the side of a box like this
What a doorbell transformer looks like when it is mounted
Installing a new 24v transformer
- Turn off power to the circuit at the fuse box.
- Open enclosure,
- Detach old transformer and install new.
- The clamp that holds transformer to enclosure needs to be very tight, use a hammer and screwdriver to snug it tighter.
- Connect black-to-black, white-to-white, ground to ground using yellow or orange wire nuts®.
- In some cases, both wires are black, but one has a white stripe or some other difference, then the white stripe goes to the white Neutral wire.
- If wires on the back of the transformer are black-black, then it doesn’t matter which wire is connected to the household 120 volt Hot-Neutral.
- Tighten wire connections very tight.
- Do not leave any copper wire showing. Check that wires will not come loose.
Re-install cover over the box (enclosure). Each box must have cover that matches box … so don’t use homemade cover, homemade box, or rectangular switch cover for round box etc.